Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Children's collaborations in art

My creative identity began to change as I entered middle school, and the change was even more apparent as I entered high school. This resulted from painful criticism from outsiders and desire to assimilate, to make friends and to be liked. I remember, on several occasions, when my dad erased something I drew, and redrew it “correctly.” I wish that he would have drawn what he was talking about separately, instead of erasing my picture, even if my version was terrible according to his standards. This quickly squelched a good deal of my artistic expression. I transformed from an uninhibited, unabashed creator into an introverted, self-conscious observer. Rhoda Kellogg’s words resonate with me:
The prejudice against child art is part of the prejudice against the mind of the child. Each adult can recall his own schooling, when he was made aware of his inadequate (though potentially adequate) physical and mental capacities. In later years, it is difficult for him to respect the activities or art of child. (p. 68)
I am grateful for my experiences/opportunities growing up, and for my
parents. Reflecting on my artistic experiences in childhood helps me to be aware of the power I have over students, and my children. I am surprised at how passionately I feel as I recall these memories. Art was a very important part of my life for a long time, and I hope it will become even more important. I married an art teacher/artist because I never wanted to let go of that part of my life. Kevin’s positive, supportive attitude helps me to reconsider what I feel I am capable of doing, and to reevaluate when I thought I knew. I believe that art has important implications on children’s literacy learning, and that it rarely is credited for its benefits in learning. I am excited to learn more about the marriage between arts and literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment